These are the best vegan burgers ever. I must admit that the vegan burgers from Mildreds in Soho are pretty amazing, but this home made vegan burgers are mouth-watering. Once you have tried them you will go crazy about it. They are so soft and full of flavour that even “animal” eaters will fall in love with them. I made them so many times to perfect the recipe that I am pretty happy with the result. My friends love them so I hope you have the chance to inspire yours as well with these beauties. The base is made with black beans and everything else is just spices and nuts to give the amazing rich flavour. You just simply add all the ingredients to your food processor and that’s it. You can also use a blender but I would advise in that case to chop everything very little. I think there is nothing more rewarding than to make your own food. This way, you know that the burgers are so healthy and good for you, free of any cheeky ingredients that all process foods from the shops has. I enjoy my burger (most of the time burgerS) with some lettuce and very thin slices of onion and tomato, topped with my homemade tomato sauce. It also goes really well with Dijon mustard and of course if you so desire in a bun. Serve them with some sweet potato chips and extra tomato sauce for dipping.
Makes 6-8 burgers
2 Tins of black beans drained
1/3cup hazelnuts (3tbsp)
1 Big red onion cut in chunks
4 Garlic cloves cut in halves
Hand full of parsley (12-15g)
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground coriander
A sprinkle of cayenne pepper
1 Red chilly in case you like hot stuff
1/2cup Oat flour to coat the burgers (simply process around ½ cup of oats into your food processor till it becomes thin as flour)
- Start by poring the content of your black beans tin into a sieve so it drains all the liquid and set aside.
- In a food processor process your oats and hazelnuts till thin as flour. Remove from your food processor and set aside.
- Add to your food processor on the following order: onion, garlic, parsley, beans, spices – cumin, coriander, salt, chilly, cayenne pepper (be generous with the spices and salt, poring a full spoon of each condiment) finally the oats & hazelnuts. Process it till it combines together but still leaving a few chunks of onion and black beans intact to give some texture.
- Transfer to a bowl and finish mixing it well. After mixing you probably want to taste it and add some extra slat and spices if you consider necessary.
- With your hands shape the burgers and coat them with oat flour.
- Sprinkle with some cayenne pepper or smoked paprika and they are ready for the BBQ or oven.
- In the oven takes around 45 min at 180 degrees.
- Serve it with thin slices of onion and tomatoes, lettuce and some Dijon mustard. Super yummy!
Top tip: These burgers are also perfect to freeze and they cook from frozen in the oven just perfectly tasting exactly the same. To freeze you probably want to coat them with oat flower really well to avoid sticking.