I’m so excited to share this recipe. I loved how well this turned out which makes me so happy. This is a banana cake rather than a banana bread as it’s a lot moister and sweeter than the typical banana bread. I made it in a loaf tin but you could do it in a round 23cm cake tin. This cake is very moist in the middle and has a oh so sweet crunchy top layer! The caramel drizzle on top makes it even more indulgent and makes it look the bomb! It’s super easy to make and even easier to eat 🙂
- 2 Flax eggs (2TBSP flax seed powder mixed in 5TBSP water)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 & 3/4cups spelt flour
- 1TBSP Plant Based Milk
- 1/4cup Coconut Sugar
- 2TBSP Almond Butter
- Little pinch of salt
- Start by preparing the flax egg by mixing the flax seed powder with the water and let it sit aside til it creates an egg like texture.
- Grease a loaf pan and preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Add to a bowl the flower, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and coconut sugar and mix well with a fork to loosen all ingredients and removing any lumps.
- On a separate bow mash the bananas with a fork till it becomes very creamy. Add to the bananas olive oil, milk and the flax eggs and combine all together.
- Pour the liquid batter into the solid and involve all together very gently.
- Transfer into your greased loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with coconut sugar.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let it cool down in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
- To make the caramel sauce warm the milk in a saucepan, once hot remove from the stove and add the coconut sugar and salt. Mix will till its completely dissolved with the milk creating a brown smooth liquid texture. Bring to the heat again and once it starts bubbling ever so slightly remove from the stove once more and add the almond butter mixing well to combine. Drizzle over the top of the cooled banana cake.
Top Tip: To store keep in an air tight container so the cake remains moist and soft.